Daniel Fast- Journal – Week 2
Welcome back! I hope you had a lovely week. This is my second journal following week 2 of the fast. I’ve been physically fine – very few cravings this time. I didn’t meal prep though, but managed to stay on track. I also managed to incorporate some exercise (PIYO) on top of my usual 80 minute walk (needs must – I don’t drive and need to do the school run). My body feels great and ‘light’. I feel very well. My emotional and spiritual experience has been more difficult though. For the most part I had this heaviness and sadness about my life that was hard to shake off. I felt worn out – as if there was no breakthrough in my life, unaccomplished, lost etc. I didn’t want to pray. It was a chore reading my Bible – I hardly got through my devotionals. I also found myself getting distracted – wanting to do anything but focus. It was tough y’all… The thing that kept me going was worship. I had my Spotify worship playlist on blast on all day – determined to change the atmosphere.
However, I believe I got my breakthrough yesterday after feeling quite beaten up and frustrated. We had the most wonderful worship service at church. It was great having the Holy Spirit take over – service did not go as planned. If you know anything about the British this is quite something!! We don’t veer off plan – we stick to the plan! No sermon. We spent 1.5 hours in worship and prayer. It was the time I had been longing for with God and I undoubtedly left feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. I am so grateful.
I woke up this morning ready to get back to my devotionals (I’m doing 2). I went back to the days I had missed and was struck that both devotionals focused on the temptations that Jesus faced after He had fasted for 40 days. With every temptation, Jesus used the Word. A full account can be found in Matthew 4:1-11. I love the Amplified version of Jesus’ response after the devil tried to tempt Him, “But Jesus replied, “It is written and forever remains written…”. Ha! Now had I read that last week, I would have probably had better come backs on everything the devil was throwing my way. However, I am back, boxing gloves back up, ready for a fight.
Here’s what I know about God’s word:
- The word is God – John 1: 1 AMP “In the beginning [before all time] was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself.”
- The word stands forever – Matthew 24:35 VOICE “My words are always true and always here with you. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away.”
- The word does what it was sent to do – Isaiah 55:11 AMP “So will My word be which goes out of My mouth; It will not return to Me void (useless, without result), Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.”
- The word gives direction – Joshua 1:8 VOICE “Let the words from the book of the law be always on your lips. Meditate on them day and night so that you may be careful to live by all that is written in it. If you do, as you make your way through this world, you will prosper and always find success.”
- The word is used in combat – Ephesians 6:13-17 VOICE “And this is why you need to be head-to-toe in the full armor of God: so you can resist during these evil days and be fully prepared to hold your ground. Yes, stand—truth banded around your waist, righteousness as your chest plate, and feet protected in preparation to proclaim the good news of peace. Don’t forget to raise the shield of faith above all else, so you will be able to extinguish flaming spears hurled at you from the wicked one. Take also the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”
What has God said about you, your future, your current issues, life in general? It is written and forever remains written!!! Declare what has been written – from the beginning of time. It is true and forever remains written.
So this week, I am suited and booted – combining what I learnt in my previous journal about prayer with the Word. I urge you to do the same.
Have a wonderful week.
The Girl Who Wears Heels xoxo
PS – Some of you may have already seen this week’s meal prep on instagram. If not don’t worry, I’ll have a bonus post on Wednesday about my meal plan for the week.